Solihull in a day

PUBLISHED: 11:05 05 January 2011 | UPDATED: 17:04 20 February 2013

Solihull in a day

Solihull in a day

There is more to Solihull than a shopping Mecca as Debbie Graham discovers.

Solihulls most famous export may be its Land Rovers but fans of two wheelers would find plenty to see at the National Motorcycle Museum. One of the largest motorcycle museums in the world visitors can chart the motorcycle from its early days to the golden era of the 1930-60s. Look out for the 1904 360cc Advance 2 3/4hp model, which is thought to be the only complete one in existence.
Tel: 01675 443311; www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk


From two wheels to a pair of skates Solihulls ice rink is one of the towns most popular attractions. Lessons are available and the venue is also suitable for speed and figure skating. Public sessions get busy so get there early!
Tel: 0121 7425561; www.solihullicerink.co.uk


For those seeking a little peace and quiet Brueton Park is a haven. It was given to the town in 1944 by Mr Horace Brueton and contains a nature reserve, lake and woodland. In 2002 it received Local Nature Reserve status and the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust opened a centre which provides childrens workshops, talks and demonstrations, including a pond dipping day on the 31st May where you can search for the creepy crawlies that make the pond their home. And if youd like to volunteer to keep the park tidy join one of the monthly weekend work parties.
Tel: 0121 704 0768 for the visitor centre or visit www.warwickshire-wildlife-trust.org.uk The park is also linked to the more formal Malvern Park which is just off New Road.



Just short drives from Solihull are two National Trust properties of great importance to the countys history.
Baddesley Clinton is a 15th century manor house that became a hideaway for persecuted Catholics during the turbulent Elizabethan age. It was owned at the time by the Vaux sisters who held illegal Catholic services and you can see where the priests hid when the authorities came knocking as the three priest's holes are still very much in evidence.
The 16th century, Packwood House is just a couple of miles away and was restored by Graham Baron Ash between the two world wars. It now contains a good collection of Tudor textiles and furniture.
Both properties are open from
11am to 5pm.
Tel: 01564 783294;
www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Most Read

Latest from the Warwickshire Life