- Cooking Time: Under 30 mins
- Cuisine: Other
- Main Ingredient: Lamb
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1 (400g) pack lean lamb mince
1 clove garlic, crushed
50g/2oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh or 5ml/1tsp dried mint
5ml/1tsp ground cumin
5ml/1tsp ground coriander
2.5ml/1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 egg yolk
30ml/2tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (700g) bottle passata sauce with basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
This spicy lamb and carrot meatball recipe counts as 4 of your 5-a-day and contains over a third of your RDA of vitamin C and iron.
1. Coarsely grate the carrots and reserve half for the sauce. Place the remainder in a bowl with the mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, mint, spices and egg yolk and mix together. Divide into 28 pieces then roll each into a small ball. If time allows, chill for 20 mins.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan, when hot, add a little of the oil and the meatballs. Cook over a high heat for about 8 mins, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the meatballs until they are golden brown all over.
3. Stir in the chopped onion and remaining carrots then fry for a further 2 mins. Pour in the passata sauce, season well, then cover and simmer uncovered for 6-8 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve with freshly cooked pasta.