Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 large bunches spring onions
550g small chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp Marmite
300-350ml light ale
210g ready rolled puff pastry
800g floury potatoes, peeled
100ml unsweetened soya milk
1. Preheat oven to Gas 6/200ï¿½C/400ï¿½F. Melt 50g of margarine in a large non-stick frying pan (you may find it easier to do in two batches). Chop the bottom 7cm part of the spring onions roughly and sautï¿½ briefly. Save the tops as you will need them later.
2. Cut the mushrooms into 5mm slices and add into the pan. Continue to sautï¿½ for five minutes until starting to colour, stirring to prevent sticking.
3. Take off the heat and sprinkle the cornflour over. Once back on the hob, add the Marmite and 300ml of ale. Cook for a further five minutes or until mushrooms begin to soften. Use more ale if the mixture seems too dry.
4. Divide the mixture into four small soufflï¿½/ceramic pie dishes. Cut out four circles of the pastry and place on top, leaving some room to rise. Brush with soya milk and make a small hole in the top to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
5. Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil until soft but not falling apart. Drain and empty back into the pan to dry slightly. Add the remaining 50g margarine and mash very well. Finely chop the remaining green part of the spring onions and add, with enough soya milk, to make a smooth mash.